Telling Our Story . . . 1922 to Present
The mission of San José Clinic is to provide quality healthcare and education to those with limited access to such services in an environment which respects the dignity of each person.
San José Clinic, the original safety-net clinic in Houston, has steadfastly grown into a leading provider of quality healthcare services for individuals and families in the Greater Houston area who struggle the most with accessing care. The Clinic began with the vision of Monsignor Walsh, a donation of $50 from the Charity Guild of Catholic Women and volunteers from the community, who all came together with the same hope of breaking down barriers to healthcare for the underserved. Ninety years later, we proudly uphold the legacy of our founders by continuing to provide healthcare for those who need a health home the most, including primary and specialty medical and dental care as well as vision, laboratory and pharmacy services.
This number, especially in the current economic environment, continues to rise. In keeping with our original call for volunteerism, in 2013 San José Clinic utilized 802 volunteers who together contributed 24,284 hours of service at a value of $756,287. There were 662 patient care volunteers, including dentists, physicians, registered dental hygienists, registered nurses and medical and dental assistants. The 140 patient support volunteers included students, retirees, corporate employees, and family and friends who assisted administratively through medical transcription, chart auditing and special events, among many other projects.
The Clinic relies on volunteers, donated medications and supplies, and philanthropic support, which combine to keep the clinic costs at a minimum. Last year, the Clinic received $2.8 million worth of prescription medicine through the Patient Assistance Program, over $450,000 worth of medical laboratory services from The Methodist Hospital Community Benefits Program and over $2.7 million in philanthropic support.
2013: Through partnerships and grant funding, the Clinic meets the longstanding need of expanding primary care, resulting in a full-time, contract primary care physician and a staffed Family Nurse Practitioner.
2012: San José Clinic celebrates its 90th anniversary! The Clinic also adds radiology to its list of laboratory services provided.
2010: Through a generous gift from the CHRISTUS Foundation for Healthcare, the Clinic relocates to the John S. Dunn/W.T. & Louise J Moran Family Health Center to meet the growing needs of the community.
2006: The Clinic Board establishes the Medical Director position.
1981: Charity Guild of Catholic Women pledges an annual donation of $50,000 for the pediatric clinic.
1960’s: The Clinic begins to sign collaborative agreements with Houston’s medical institutions and increases available services.
1954: With a generous donation from the Scanlan Foundation, the Clinic relocated to 301 Hamilton, a place they would call home for the next 56 years.
1947: Bishop Christopher Byrne blesses the ground and renames the Clinic, “San José Clinic."
1940: The Houston Chronicle extols the accomplishments of the Clinic,
“…approximately 5,000 visits were paid to the Clinic in the first six months…”
“…over 1,200 prescriptions are filled…How the Clinic does so much on such a small amount of money is the result of a practical group of women who manage the Clinic so efficiently.”
1922: With the help from the Charity Guild of Catholic Women, Msgr. Walsh founded San José Clinic as “Clinica Gratuita”, renamed “Mexican Clinic” in 1925. Among the services offered were treatment of the skin, eye, nose and throat, dental, pre-natal care and free eyeglasses.